Remove Text Formatting

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which is easier? to quit smoking or to quit drinking?

just be nice
    S 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 775
    Given: 953

Default which is easier? to quit smoking or to quit drinking?

Hi Warriors~
    I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor...she has been trying to quit smoking for about a year...(the same amount of time I have been trying to quit drinking).
    She claims it is harder to quit smoking??
    I was wondering what the Warriors thought??
    "Change your life today. Donít gamble on the future, act now, without delay."

Quit Date: 1/1/2011

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

Dee...it's probably a personal thing but I really do believe in my heart of hearts that it is much more difficult to quit smoking.
    The things that aren't working in my life reflect old patterns that need my awareness, attention, and healing.
    I accept all of the feelings that come with change and growth.
    We are all born with intuition, but it is often trained out of us early in life. With practice, we can get back in touch with it.

No Status!
    2 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I'd say drinking, but I quit that first. The same skills were used in quitting smoking, so I'd already gone through the learning curve. But it did take awhile to psych myself up to quit smoking. Once I'd decided, I found it easier than quitting drinking.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 59

Quitting smoking was more difficult for me, but staying quit from drinking is more difficult than staying quit from smoking.There are more social triggers with drinking. The world shuns smoking but glamorizes drinking.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

- Jebediah Springfield

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by sharksandwich View Post
    Quitting smoking was more difficult for me, but staying quit from drinking is more difficult than staying quit from smoking.There are more social triggers with drinking. The world shuns smoking but glamorizes drinking.
    I'll sign that. The problem was, for me, that I had my first craving and AV attack three hours after quitting smoking. That was close enough to the last deed that I wasn't yet "quit" and didn't really feel like I'd jeopardize anything if I lit one. Booze took a sober week to hit me full force, and that was long enough to feel like I was "quitting".
    Things I can help you with: if the site doesn't do what you want, if there's an issue with another member, if there's something you want added, if your Hollandaise doesn't come together, if you're hungry. Things I can not help you with: quitting (the site can, and YOU can), relationship troubles, child rearing, lack of sleep, your vanishing superpowers, finding the best vegan foods.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

I personally had an easier time quitting smoking but most studies show smoking is THE hardest of all drugs people abuse to quit from.. I do agree though w/ the whole glamorizing the drinking in society though compared w/ attitudes toward smoking over the past couple decades.
    ďOur deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? ....Marianne Williamson
    11/06/07

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
    Hi Warriors~
    I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor...she has been trying to quit smoking for about a year...(the same amount of time I have been trying to quit drinking).
    She claims it is harder to quit smoking??
    I was wondering what the Warriors thought??
    When I first read this, what ran through my mind was "People admit they've quit smoking all the time. A lot of the time their fellow smoking buddies cheer them on in their quit. I wonder if this person admitted to the neighbor that they quit (or are trying to quit) drinking. After all it is less socially acceptable.."

As for which is harder to quit.. I'm not qualified to say. I've never smoked regularly. Sure, experimented, but never done regularly on my own.

By all rights I should have -- I grew up in a family of 5 and everyone smoked but me. I didn't because I knew it was bad for you. Too bad I didn't apply that same logic for drinking..
    May 17, 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Default quitting smoking was easier than quitting drinking for me

I agree that smoking is so verboten that it was easier to quit for me. The wine drinking thing has thrown me a helluva curve ball, but I am determined to get through it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

I quit smoking 17 years ago while still bar hopping. Quitting smoking for me was a matter of unwavering willpower. Willpower was not enough for me to quit drinking. It has taken support from groups; Q and AA.
    Change is a process, not an event.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 22

I quit both as well, and for me quitting smoking was FAR harder. The withdrawal symptoms were 10 times worse.

But I agree with those above that suggested that "staying quit" is harder with drinking.