0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Default Elevated Liver Enzymes

I just got the result back from my annual blood test and my numbers were:

AST 45 normal 0-40
    ALT 57 normal 0-55

I have been drinking nightly for the last years and am worried because I am only 29 years old. I am going to quit immediately but am very worried about my numbers being high. Can anyone give me any advice on why these may be elevated? I am going to the doc on Monday.

Thanks

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 332

They go up when you stress out your liver. Its probably a mild hepatitis brought on by drinking, easily healed up after the first two weeks of sobriety. The important thing to remember is that if you're drinking enough to cause liver stress at age 29, you could end up in liver failure at a later age. I say "later age" because usually its age 70 or so, but its been known to happen at age 40 or younger, depending on how much you drink, and how much abuse your particular liver can take. Each liver is different in its ability to withstand disease...you don't know which one you've got but elevated test results are a clue.

Welcome to sobriety!
    Don't stumble over something behind you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
    They go up when you stress out your liver. Its probably a mild hepatitis brought on by drinking, easily healed up after the first two weeks of sobriety. The important thing to remember is that if you're drinking enough to cause liver stress at age 29, you could end up in liver failure at a later age. I say "later age" because usually its age 70 or so, but its been known to happen at age 40 or younger, depending on how much you drink, and how much abuse your particular liver can take. Each liver is different in its ability to withstand disease...you don't know which one you've got but elevated test results are a clue.

Welcome to sobriety!
    Thanks Gardengirl,

Does this mean after a couple of weeks the liver should be healed back to normal with no long term effects if I continue to stay sober?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

Thanks Ronnie,

I will definitely not be drinking anymore and believe I have the will power to do so. I was just really scared when they came back elevated even though it was within a few points. My doctor said that he would not be concerned unless they were three times higher. I am going to retest my blood results in a couple of weeks and compare the restults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

My tests came back and after two weeks of not drinking and my ALT and AST were both in the low 20s. I have now not had a drink in three weeks and have been eating very healthy and exercising. I feel excellent and very proud that I have been able to kick alcohol after being so used to having a "few" drinks at night before bed time. I am now getting used to getting up in the morning and feeling great and spending more sober time with my wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

Thanks Ronnie, lesson learned. I now know that drinking is not for me, I just do not have the ability to just have a couple and do not want to do any major damage to my body. Every time I get the "drinking" thoughts in my head I think about the negative aspects it caused. Just got to keep fighting and I think the urges will be completely gone soon. I am learning to do things and have fun without it. Its funny how I thought alcohol was such a important thing, but honestly not everyone needs to drink to feel better. I never was drinking too heavily, but I would have 6-7 drinks at night to relieve stress and help me go to bed. I am learning now that I can sleep just fine without it, and feel much better in the morning. Thanks again for the support.