Remove Text Formatting

Thread: benefits of giving up coffee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

Default benefits of giving up coffee?

I have been considering giving up coffee and am looking for feedback.

I have been researching it and have been reading others opinions of what it's like. Many people say that they end up having more energy? it sounds like it's the coffee can be causing me not to be able to wake up easily, or causing the 3:00 slump when I thought the coffee was actually helping.

I drink a lot of coffee (a few cups in the morning, and ice coffees throughout the day to "reward" myself), and feel exhausted/depressed a lot of the time, can't focus on one thing at a time, take frequent naps, can't sleep through the night, etc even though I have been eating right, exercising, taking vitamins, and drinking way more water.

So, I want to give it up as an experiment to see if i feel better... but of course I'm afraid of the headaches and have no clue what to really expect for withdrawal symptoms.

Another concern is that I told my husband last night that I may give up coffee and he looked at me like I'm nuts and said why don't I just join a convent and not to expect him to quit or get mad when he brews coffee. lol the poor guy feels like he can't drink in the house anymore and quit smoking w/ me, not to mention the pressure he's under lately to eat healthy. So I guess I can see where he is coming from...

But, his reaction is another concern I have... giving up another vice makes me feel just a little more boring. And his reaction tells me that others would agree...like maybe I AM on my way to joining a convent... or playing bingo with 80 year olds, or being the head of the pta or organizing church parties or something. I used to HATE people who acted like they were perfect and did nothing wrong at all in life... is it really bad to feel like this? But really, it's just coffee... it's absurd to think that giving up caffeine would make me feel this way!!
    10/24/08, quit drinking!!
    11/11/08, quit smoking!!

"Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life." Eleanor Roosevelt

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A book is written one page at a time,
    A journey is taken one step at a time,
    Our lives are lived one day at a time,
    Make your goals attainable,
    Small goals build upon themselves and turn into big achievements." Lisa Murray, In Balance Jan 2008

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 61

You should read ----->THIS<----- before you quit drinking coffee.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

- Jebediah Springfield

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 437
    Given: 449

Hi Marie,
    I've quit coffee before, and I remember two things about it. Feeling depressed, and my knees buckling at the smell of it when my husband brewed his.

Why not just cut back? I've noticed it is really hard to completely stop, but cutting back isn't so bad.

You may be tired because you're not drinking enough water. Coffee's a diuretic. My mom gave me this tip: Immediately upon wakening, drink a big, full glass of water. Down it fast if you have to, or put lemon in it. Then have your coffee.

I've got my coffee down to one cup in the am, and one cup of green tea in the afternoon, and I used to be a serious junkie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

Well, since i posted i've had another cup of coffee and 6 chocolate covered expresso beans leftover from my christmas stocking. Maybe I'll think about quitting or cutting back again tomorrow!

But interesting article, Shark. Maybe I'll just decide coffee is good for me. Much easier!! I read once that bringing coffee to the gym helps you get a better workout, which sounded fantastic, and boy did I get strange looks when I brought my dunkin donuts cup in with me!!

Gardengirl, I have been drinking much more water than I ever have by making a conscious effort to drink at least 8 cups a day (in addition to my water at the gym)... I find that at home, drinking out of the small 8 oz glasses is much easier, I can gulp down a cup at a time which is way easier than I thought!
    11/11/08, quit smoking!!

"Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life." Eleanor Roosevelt

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt

Small goals build upon themselves and turn into big achievements." Lisa Murray, In Balance Jan 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Immediately upon wakening, drink a big, full glass of water. Down it fast if you have to, or put lemon in it. Then have your coffee.
    sounds like a good idea.. just be careful not to get stuck in traffic
    Last edited by Mortiman; 01-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Why yes, I am rubbing a cat on
    my head!
    If it's a good day, somewhere outside my head
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,410
    Given: 243

Try an apple in the morning with a cup of green tea. Green tea actually has a bunch of health benefits where coffee lacks in that area. Apples are a natural source of energy which won't lead to a debilitating crash.

The reason why you're crashing mid day is because caffeine caffeine and sugar are CNS stimulants just like the rest of them. Unfortunately when you come down off of them, you crash just like you would from cocaine or any other stimulant.
    The First Chapter

Quit 7/12/07

Sipping some tea...
    S 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 990

I think Charlie's right. Green tea is a good choice not only because of the antioxidants but because it contains theonine which sort of mellows out it's caffiene content which is low to begin with. It is also alkaline forming rather than acidic..............people forget about the acid in coffee and the problems it can cause and tend to focus only on the caffiene.

Coffee in moderation, like anything else, is fine as long as you are not overly sensive to it.

Why don't you think about cutting back on your coffee intake, or mixing it half and half with decaf? Or maybe making the switch to tea? Just flat out quitting can cause headaches and other withdrawl symptoms.

Roxanne
    Sober Since 8/30/05
    "We work on ourselves in order to help others. but also we help others in order to work on ourselves." --Pema Chodron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I quit coffee for about two years ,6 years ago .
    I can honestly say it did not made a difference to the way I felt.
    So I started again , but limiting myself to only making fresh coffee at home once a day , and if I met friends out I would really enjoy a "starbuck" style coffee, that was the main reason I started drinking coffee again as it just felt horrible having a herbal tea at a coffee shop .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thumbs Up

well I bought some green tea bags last night. we do have overpriced loose green tea in the cabinet, and I really don't like it, so I'll give this one a try. The box was pretty.

It has added antioxidents in it, whatever that means. aren't some herbs bad to take together?? i'm taking st john's wort and i think my daily vitamin has ginko biloba and something else in it. will have to look into that.

Going to try to cut back on the coffee, and cut out afternoon coffees altogether. It will be difficult as my favorite way to reward myself for just about anything is to buy an ice coffee (skim milk no sugar). In fact, I could go for one right about now...
    11/11/08, quit smoking!!